The beans are the key to a good burrito bowl, in my estimation, and this homemade chipotle burrito bowl is top notch!
I love a warm bowl of smoky black beans, and this chipotle burrito bowl is deeply seasoned without being over-the-top spicy. My husband doesn’t love super spicy food, but I do. If you’re like me, add a healthy dose of hot sauce to your chipotle burrito bowl right before serving. YUM!
Health Benefits of Black Beans
These smoky black beans are delicious, but they’re also packed with nutritional value. Beans offer both protein and fiber, which is a rare and extremely healthy combination. In fact, beans like the black beans in this chipotle burrito bowl have been shown to prevent diabetes and heart disease.
Black beans, in particular, have a good combination of nutrients for bone health. They’re rich in protein, iron, and chromium.
For the recipe below, you can use BPA free canned beans or choose to cook your beans from dried. Either way, this recipe turns out deliciously!
Building Your Burrito Bowl
The fun part of a burrito bowl is that you can encourage your family to eat lots of healthy, fresh veggies and present them in a fun way. I love laying out my veggies all on one plate – a rainbow of nutrition! Here’s a photo of my rainbow plate:
You can use whatever veggies look good at the store, but here’s how we did our burrito bowls:
- Start with a bed of chopped lettuce or spinach.
- Add the rice and beans (see Chipotle Black Beans recipe below).
- Top with veggies from your rainbow plate.
- Add avocado and chopped scallions.
Everyone gets to pick and choose what goes into their bowls, but since all of the offerings are fresh and healthy, they’re getting a nutritious meal no matter what they select. Yay!
KAREN: I’d add Spanish rice to mine. Oh, and corn. And peppers. Wait, I also need to douse it with some spicy hot sauce. Man, I can go on…and on….this is making my mouth water. I love Chipotle’s Burrito Bowl so this is such a great idea for tonight! Thanks Becky!
Build Your Own Chipotle Burrito BowlPrint
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp each cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- Drain and rinse your beans.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan on medium, and saute the onions and garlic until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid reduces by half. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite burrito fixings! I used: chopped avocado, tomato, scallions, brown rice, fresh cilantro, and chopped cucumbers.