Air fried shrimp with garlic and butter from the air fryer leaves no oily mess around the stove and it only takes a few minutes to make. This savory appetizer can be easily made into a meal with pasta or zoodles any day of the week!
You know how much I love my Instant Pot so it's no surprise that I have many Instant Pot recipes on the blog. But I love the Air Fryer too and published my first cookbook Paleo Cooking with your Air Fryer featuring some of our favorite recipes!
What is an air fryer?
Air fryer is everything Instant Pot is not since it makes food crispy. And I use both almost every day. Mind you. I have a CONVECTION oven that circulates hot heat which cooks food 10% faster than a conventional oven but it's still not faster than the air fryer or makes great crispy food.
And when you are on the Paleo diet without grains, like us, it's even more challenging to make crispy textured foods. Besides, who wants to eat deep-fried food so often? Again, who's got time to clean all the greasy mess on the counter-top? Not me.
That's why I love using air fryer when I need crispy foods. And shrimp is one of our FAVORITES to cook in the air fryer, like the Air Fried Paleo Coconut Shrimp.
This time, I made Shrimp with garlic and butter because, well, who doesn't love garlic and butter? And unlike the coconut shrimp, I didn't have to use eggs or dredging so it was even quicker! It's so easy and there's no countertop mess. Can you tell I hate kitchen mess?
Don't have an air fryer? What are you waiting for? You need one! Trust me.
Shrimp with Garlic and Butter in the air fryer is so ridiculously simple to make. All you need are:
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
While the air fryer is pre-heating, marinate the shrimp with shells in ghee (or butter, if you can tolerate dairy) and minced garlic.
Once the air fryer is pre-heated to 360ºF, place them in the air fryer basket in a single layer with tongs. Set the timer for 6 minutes for Extra Large (16/20 count) shrimp like these.
If the shrimp is smaller in size, set the timer for less time. Check for doneness after 3 minutes. If the shells are bright pink and the flesh is firm, they are cooked.
Once they are cooked, take out the shrimp carefully onto a plate, sprinkle with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper! You could peel the shells right after you suck out the buttery liquid before eating or if you are like me, eat the whole thing. Who got time for messy peeling? Not me.
Don't they look scrumptious? Look at all the gahhhhh-rlic! The garlicky, briny, and buttery flavors that oozes with every bite will make you want to eat them all and not share with anyone.
Air Fried Shrimp with Garlic & Butter
- 3 tablespoon butter (or ghee) melted
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 12 XL shrimp 16/20 or smaller
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the shrimp in cold water. If needed, using kitchen shears, slit the top of the shrimps and devein. Keep the shells on and place the shrimp in a medium bowl.
- Turn on the air fryer to preheat to 360°F
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter or ghee, and garlic.
- Pour the garlic and ghee mixture over the shrimp to marinate.
- Place the shrimp in the air fryer basket. Set the timer to 6 minutes.
- Reserve butter and garlic mixture for later.
- When the timer goes off, open the basket and check for doneness. If the color of the shrimps is red and the flesh is opaque white, they are cooked. These shrimps were XL and it only took 6 minutes. Obviously, depending on the size, the cooking time may vary.
- Place the shrimps back in the medium bowl and toss them with the reserved garlic butter mixture.
- Sprinkle sea salt and black pepper and toss well. Serve immediately.
- The cook time will vary depending on the shrimp size. If smaller than XL, adjust time accordingly. Open the air fryer at 3 minutes to check if the shrimp is opaque and pink.
- You can substitute with butter if you are not Paleo.
➡️ Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more recipes and tips. And follow @drkarensle on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and say "Hello!" 👋