Southern Style Stir Fry is flexible and so versatile as you can add whatever you’d like!
This week, I’m challenging myself to create a seasonal veggie recipe based on ingredients from my CSA basket. This fusion recipe is a stir fry that mixes Asian flavors with seasonal southern veggies, and it’s delicious!
What I love about a stir fry is that you can really mix and match your veggies. I’ll provide alternate vegetables, so you can use what’s seasonal in your area.
Super Veggie of the Week: Mushrooms
This recipe was inspired by the lion’s mane mushrooms that came in our CSA basket. My friend Jonathan Tescher of Sparta Imperial Mushrooms grew these beauties for us. Aren’t they lovely?
Mushrooms give your food a lovely earthy flavor, but they’ve also got a surprisingly robust nutritional profile. Mushrooms are one of the only non-fortified plant-based sources of vitamin D. If you can’t find lion’s mane mushrooms near you, I’d recommend shiitake mushrooms as a substitute. Shiitake mushrooms, in particular, are a nutritional powerhouse. They’re one of the more budget-friendly superfoods, and they support your immune system and your kidneys.
Southern Style Stir-Fry (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian)
Southern-Style Stir Fry
- 4 cups cooked soba noodles or brown rice - your choice
- 2 tbsp olive or sesame oil
- 1/2 med sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 c collard greens with stems removed chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 c chopped carrots
- 1 c lion's mane mushrooms alternatives: shiitake, oyster, or chantarelle mushrooms
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced (alternative: 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce alternative: sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce alternative: chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar alternative: rice vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the onions, garlic, collards, and carrots. Cook until the carrots and onions soften, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, ginger, soy sauce Sriracha, and vinegar. Cook for a few minutes more, until the mushrooms soften.
- Serve over your noodles with whatever toppings you like!
- roasted unsalted cashews
- chopped green onion
- chopped cilantro
- chopped avocado