Standard FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for products or services, including from Amazon.com. Read full disclosure here.
Warm and bright sun melts the last bit of gray snow while bright yellow and green Forsythia and Crocus come out of winter hibernation right about now.
And what do I think about?
The yellow and green colors in quiche scream “SPRING!” in harmony and it’s a perfect dish to have on a sunny Spring morning. And with seasonal veggie like Asparagus – which, by the way, is part of Clean Fifteen so you don’t even have to buy organic – being so cheap these days, this is a “must-make” dish!
But there is one problem. We can’t eat wheat. And I haven’t succeeded in making a perfect gluten free quiche crust so I make it crustless. Why fight a battle I can’t win? We also can’t eat dairy so there is no cream or cheese in it. Some might call it ‘Frittata’ but whatever. (Check out this ‘Frittata’ dish I make at the end of the summer with wild rice and garden veggies. Here is the recipe.)
Whatever you want to call it, quiche is one of the easiest and tastiest breakfast (or lunch) I could make with my eyes closed. If I want to. Sort of.
Just pour the egg batter in a hot “HOT” cast iron skillet … (See the edges already cooking?)
And bake it in the oven at 350°F until when inserted toothpick comes out clean! See all the delicious colorful goodness buried in the eggs? I serve it with oranges and avocado wedges. But you can serve with salads on the side.
I’m so happy it’s finally Spring because this spring colored dish awaits my weekends! Happy Spring!
Crustless Spring Quiche Recipe: Dairy & Gluten Free
- Greased Cast Iron Skillet or Pyrex Pie Pan – I use bacon grease and I have All-Clad Cast Iron Pan by Emeril but Lodge Cast-Iron Skillet is a bit cheaper.
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 10 Pastured Eggs from Free Roaming Chickens
- 1 Cup Cooked Bacon Bits
- 2 Cup of Asparagus Cut in 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Cup of Potato Hash (Sweet potato hash works great too!)
- 1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Fresh Tarragon (or 1 Tsp Dried Tarragon)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley (or 1 Tsp Dried Parsley)
- Pinch of Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the greased skillet or pie pan on the middle rack until ready to pour the egg batter.
- Mix 10 eggs in a medium size bowl.
- Add chopped cooked bacon bits.
- Add asparagus, parsley and tarragon and mix gently.
- Season with pinch of salt and pepper.
- Carefully, take out the skillet or the pie pan from the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet.
- Gently, spoon the potato hash on top and don't mix.
- Carefully place the skillet or the pie pan back in the oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 Cup Chopped Potatoes
- ½ C Diced Onions
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp of Garlic Powder
- In a greased hot pan, saute onions until translucent.
- Add chopped potatoes and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Saute until potato is cooked but still firm.
- Set aside to cool.
Other Spring Quiche Recipes
I got together with a few food bloggers to create different renditions of Spring Quiche so check out these variations.
Aren’t these gorgeous??? Click the links below the image for their recipes.
Spring Quiche with Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts by The Organic Kitchen
Crustless Spring Quiche with Asparagus, Fennel and Radishes by Recipes to Nourish
Egg-free, Dairy-free Quiche with Grain-free Crust and Spring Veggies by Eat Beautiful