I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast. I want to sit and have a nice leisurely breakfast while planning out my day but that’s not the case on most days.
I drink my lemon water, a green smoothie and sit down to have my coffee. By then, I’m full from all the liquids that I don’t think about food until mid-morning. Not the best healthy eating practice. I know.
I should have some good fats with some carbs for breakfast to get me going but that’s not always the case.
But these Grain Free Savory Breakfast Muffins solved my morning quagmire!
These have bacon, eggs, herbs, and are grain free! Good fats, savory herbs with a bit of carbs and it makes a perfect “All-in-One” breakfast! Who wouldn’t want that?
Make extra batches and freeze them for the week. Reheat them for breakfast but they are great for lunch too! I love foods that I can eat any time of the day. Actually, I already eat any food any time of the day so these are perfect!
I bake batches of bacon strips in the oven, chop them up and freeze them in glass lock container so I can use them whenever I come up with recipe ideas like this. And when I make Gluten Free Garlic & Herb Cheese Biscuits and Spring Quiche.
What’s versatile about these muffins is that you can use any greens you have in the fridge. I buy a large bag of Power Greens from Costco that has young kale, swiss chard, and spinach for salads, green smoothies, and soups so that’s what I used here. You can see them in the pictures above. But you can use any greens you’d like. If you are going to use kale, make sure to chop them up small.
Grain Free Savory Breakfast Muffins
Note: I HIGHLY recommend using unbleached parchment muffin cup liners for this recipe because this batter is mostly eggs and greasing the muffin pans will not work in making them not stick to the pan. Trust me.
- Muffin Pan – I have an old non-stick (the horror!!) muffin pan that I use with a liner, always. But when I have to throw it out, I’m eyeing on this cast iron Lodge Muffin Pan. Or this Silicone Muffin Pan. The jury is out on the silicone since it’s unclear whether it’s safe to use for high heat baking. I’d still use parchment paper with it though.
- Unbleached Parchment Paper Baking Cups – I go through these like crazy but love that they are unbleached.
- Coconut Flour – My favorite brand.
Grain Free Savory Breakfast MuffinsPrint
- 8 Pastured Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Cup Chopped Bacon cooked
- 1 C Shredded Raw Cheddar Cheese
- 1 C Chopped Scallions
- 1 C Greens of your choice - spinach arugula, kale, asparagus...etc
- 1 Tsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Tarragon or 1 Tsp of Fresh Chopped Tarragon
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Fine Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉
- In a large mixing bowl, crack and beat the eggs,
- Add all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture in lined muffin pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve immediately