Kalbi is literally “rib bone” when translated into English. The fatty cut around the ribs is perfect for grilling or braising and the meat always turns out tender. The cut of beef used is either a cross section cut (a.k.a. LA Kalbi) as shown in the picture or as long short rib for braising.
Korean BBQ Kalbi is everyone’s favorite. Even if you are a vegetarian, you can use this marinade for vegetables. The marinade is a simple delicate balance of saltiness and sweetness. Even though I eliminated added sugar, it usually calls for a certain amount of brown sugar. But I think fruit puree does its job.
The meat is marinated for a few hours and it is traditionally grilled over a charcoal brisket BBQ flame. But you can pan fry the meat over the high flame if a grill is not available.
The best way to eat Kalbi is in a lettuce leaf with miso paste called, doenjang on top and hot rice.
Korean BBQ Beef- Kalbi
Korean BBQ Beef KalbiPrint
- 5 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 C Pureed Apple or Asian Pear Pre-made Apple sauce is fine too
- 1 small Onion
- 1/2 C Soy Sauce Tamari for gluten free or Coconut Amino for Paleo
- 1/4 C Water
- 1/4 C Chopped Scallions
- 2 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Black pepper
- 2 LB of Short Rib Beef cut across about 1/2 " thick or flank steak skirt steak, or London Broil
- Peel and core fruits and set aside.
- In a food processor, add garlic, onion and the fruits and pureé.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic pureé, soy sauce, water, chopped scallions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add the short ribs and coat them well and marinade for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the BBQ grill until hot. Grill each ribs pieces until the outside is brown but not burnt. Serve with lettuce and doenjang - Korean miso paste.
- Beef: 1- 2 hours and baste while grilling. The best type of meat to make Kalbi with are sliced short ribs with a little bit of marbleized fat.
- Chicken: 30 minutes
- Vegetables: 15 minutes
First Photo: Karen
Second Photo: joyosity