We are putting wheat back to our diet. But that’s it. We are still dairy and egg-free….among other things.
Emily was d-y-i-n-g to have some baked goodies but most recipes contain dairy or eggs.
She found this recipe that has no dairy or eggs and was so thrilled to bake these scrumptious pretzels last Saturday …… before we lost electricity. Again.
Since some of you were salivating when I posted it on my wall on facebook, here is the recipe Emily was willing to share with ya’ll.
1 C of warm water
1 package of dry active yeast
1 1/2 C of flour
2 Tbsp of vegetable oil (we used canola oil)
1/2 tsp of salt
1 1/4 C flour
8 C water
4 tbsp baking soda
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Add vegetable oil, salt, and 1 1/2 C of flour to a medium sized mixing bowl and stir thoroughly
- Add a 1 1/4 C of flour and knead for 5 minutes.
- Let the dough stand for an hour in room temperature.
- Meditate for 50 minutes.
- When stopped meditating……
- Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Let them rest for 15 minutes. Then, roll them into 18″ pieces in finger widths and shape them into the classic pretzel shapes. Or cut them into sticks.
- Preheat oven to 475〫F
- Boil 8 C of water and 4 tbsp of baking soda in a large pot.
- Let the pretzel pieces rise for 1/2 hour.
- Put the pretzels in boiling water for about 1 minute. Take the pieces out with a slotted spoon onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet (or greased cookie sheet.) Sprinkle with kosher salt if you want salt. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Emily loves honey mustard. Me? I love honey and sprinkled cinnamon.
Can’t wait to make them again now that we have our power back.