Do you prefer white meat or dark meat on chicken? I prefer dark meat over breast meat any day and this citrusy herbal chicken thigh dish was so easy to make in the Instant Pot (Amazon Affiliate Link). And my family fights over the dark meat too so of course, this rich and flavorful dish was a big hit when I served it the other night. If you prefer the dark meat too, you will love this Citrus Herb Basque Chicken recipe from a new Instant Pot Cookbook which is being published tomorrow called The Art of Great Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri of Recipes to Nourish. She loves Instant Pot as much as I do and her cookbook illustrates beautiful dishes you can create besides the usual stews and soups.
Emily loves developing allergy friendly and nourishing foods so she can share with her readers on her beautiful site but she always wanted to write a cookbook. Her mom, who passed away a few years ago, instilled in her the love of cooking real food since she was a little girl so she dedicated this first published cookbook to her. I’m sure she is very proud of her daughter and smiling down from the heaven.
Besides this citrusy herbed chicken dish my family devoured, there are 80 gluten-free, nourishing recipes. The recipes are allergy-friendly, WAPF (Western A. Price Foundation) friendly and most are Paleo-friendly and vegetarian options too. The book is full of hearty meat dishes, beautiful soups and stews, gourmet pasta dishes, comforting casseroles, tasty breakfasts and heavenly SWEET TREATS, her specialty.
Some of the recipes besides Citrus-Herb Basque Chicken, include: Braised Lemongrass Meatballs, Sweet Grapes & Tarragon Pork Chops, Caramelized Mushroom & Onion Crustless Quiche, Zucchini Soup with Crème Fraîche, Bacon, Kale & Mushroom Spaghetti, Italian Pappa al Pomodoro, Bouillabaisse Provençal Fish Stew, Sausage & Gouda Breakfast Pudding, Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cake and Lemon Thyme Ricotta Cheesecake. Yum….just look at the beautiful cheesecake —>
Order your copy today!
Now the recipe!
Citrus Herb Basque Chicken
Citrus Herb Basque Chicken
- 3 tbsp Grass-Fed Butter or Ghee or Avocado Oil, Divided
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt divided
- 1 med yellow onion thickly sliced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs leaves removed and stems discarded
- 1/2 lb chorizo casing removed
- 1/3 c sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 c pitted green olives
- 1/3 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 c chicken bone broth
- handful fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add 2tbsp of healthy fat of choice to the Instant Pot and press "Sauté".
- Once the fat has melted, add the chicken thighs, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of sea salt and brown for about 2½ minutes per side.
- Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of healthy fat of choice, onion, garlic, thyme leaves and the remaining ¾ teaspoon of sea salt, sautéing for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chorizo and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, orange juice and bone broth. Give it a good stir. Add the browned chicken, making sure it’s submerged and some of the liquid is ladled over it.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam release valve is sealed. Press the “Poultry” setting, then increase the time using the “+” button until you reach 20 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Using an oven mitt, “quick release”/open the steam release valve. When the steam venting stops and the silver dial drops, carefully open the lid.
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh cilantro.