Homemade Mayonnaise (Paleo, Whole30, Keto, AIP-friendly)
Prep Time 1 minute
Cook Time 1 minute
Total Time 2 minutes
- 1 cup avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large farm fresh egg from pastured and free roaming chicken (see AIP substitution option below)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt or pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 cup soaked raw cashews or macadamia nuts for AIP-friendly substitution
In a large mouth mason jar, add the oil to the 1 cup mark, egg, and lemon juice.
If using an immersion blender, insert the wand in the mason jar, blend the liquid while moving the blender up and down to emulsify the oil.
If you are using a blender, add the egg and lemon juice to the blender first. Drizzle the oil into the blender slowly as the blender emulsifies and the oil thickens.
If making an egg-free AIP-friendly version, blend soaked raw cashews or macadamia nuts in a high power blender (like Blendtec or Vitamix) first, and then, drizzle the oil and lemon juice.
Add the mustard and sea salt. Blend to incorporate for a few seconds.
The mayo will thicken as you blend. Make sure to incorporate all the oil as you move the immersion blender wand up and down.
When done, close the lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. If using a blender, scrape every drop of the mayo into an airtight container, refrigerate up to 4 weeks. (This reason alone is worth investing in an immersion blender.)
- Since you will be using raw eggs, it's really important to use farm fresh eggs that are from free roaming chickens that were pastured raised.
- For AIP friendly version, substitute the egg with soaked raw cashews or macadamia nuts. Blend the nuts first and then drizzle the oil to emulsify.
Serving: 10g | Calories: 16kcal | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 40mg | Potassium: 4mg | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 0.1mg