Standard FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for products or services, including from Amazon.com. Read full disclosure here.
Our basement flooded a few years ago. I was terrified of wet basement getting moldy so I did whatever I could to prevent it. So far, we haven’t noticed any mold growing anywhere or experienced any health problems so we were very lucky.
Did you know that about 50% of American homes are affected with mold? In fact, even Suzanne Somers – you know, Chrissy from Three’s Company, a comedy sitcom decades ago? – experienced health problems related to mold that she wrote a book about it. It’s called Tox-Sick. I finished reading it and while it addressed other toxic issues, her story was very similar to these two families I interviewed last week.
While I was very lucky in not being inflicted with mold problem from the flood in my basement, the following two families weren’t so lucky. Their lives were forever changed due to toxic mold exposure from their homes. They had to vacate their homes, leave EVERYTHING behind, including their pets, and relocate. And one of them is still going through the remediation process in AZ when we spoke.
Andrea Fabry of It Takes Time is a wife and a mother to nine children. Everyone in the family, unbeknownst them, had health issues related to mold. When she found out why her family was mysteriously sick all the time, she did what any mother would do to protect her family. She left her home with NOTHING, except for a few scrapbooks and photo albums. There wasn’t much she could salvage from mold exposure and was told to leave everything behind from the mold expert when she left her home.
Andrea learned so much from her experience that she created a non-profit organization with her husband called momsAWARE.org to teach others about the dangers of toxic mold. And because of this organization and all the information given on the website, Jennifer Saleem was able to get the right help for her own mold exposure problems.
Jennifer Saleem is a wife and a mother of a young daughter. She blogs on Hybrid Rasta Mama (I posted my savory breakfast muffins recipe on her site during her transition period.) about natural health, coconut oil, and real food recipes. Since she was the poster child of natural living, uses holistic health for healing and has a “clean” diet, she wondered why she and her daughter was always sick with one problem or another. In one innocent moment when she accidentally discovered her house was covered in toxic mold, her life, as she knew it, turned upside down too, like Andrea. So she also did what a mother would do to protect her family – she left her home with NOTHING and temporarily moved to AZ to ‘dry out’ and heal from the toxic effects from mold.
Watch my interview with Andrea and Jennifer on the dangers of toxic mold and what their families have done to remedy their exposure. And what YOU can do if you suspect mold related problems. What I took away from the interview was that these two women, despite the horrible experience they had to endure, they were very upbeat, encouraging, and so optimistic about the outcome. I was very moved and feel grateful that there are solutions to this common problem that so many people face.
Dangers of Toxic Mold
- Common symptoms of toxic mold include but not limited to: fatigue, brain fog, join pain, insomnia, confusion, mood swings, light sensitivity, nausea, headaches, rashes, sneezing, respiratory problems, tearing, and so on.
- Who are affected by mold – why do some people get sick from mold exposure and some don’t.
- How to test to see if your house has mold – what types of tests are available and what tests are reliable
- How to clean mold in your house and when do you need professional remediation service
- What to ask when you call mold specialists
Watch the interview below.
Do you have any of the symptoms mentioned in the interview? Maybe you should have your home checked for mold.
Here are some links to Andrea’s sites.
Here are Jennifer’s personal stories of mold exposure.
Please share this post if you know anyone who’s suffering from mold exposure.